Friday, September 23, 2011

Review #68: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Salutations my friends! Hope the week treated you all well :). Enough talk, lets review a book!

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is by two fantastic authors, John Green and David Levithan. It centers on two boys, both named Will Grayson. Will Grayson has a best friend named Tiny Cooper, who is a large, gay football player who is creating a autobiographical musical, drawing in Will and their circle of friends. will grayson is the deuteragonist, only feels emotion and excitement through his online relationship with a boy named Issac, who makes him feel alive. These two boys have nothing in common, but when they meet, their lives change in profound ways.

I thought I would like this book much more than I did. I had high expectations, given the amazing rave reviews it has gotten. Plus I love both authors from previous works. But sadly, I did not truly enjoy this. I feel like the two Wills, do, indifferent, not truly liking the book, but not truly hating it. At times the book was so interesting, bringing you into the story as if you were there. Other times, the pacing was sooo slow that I wanted to just skip the the next book on my list. 


I honestly could not connect or relate to the characters. Both Wills were apathetic or indifferent, making it extremely hard to relate. A character doesn't have to share the same situation with me, but they have to be at least a little likable. I know the traits I just described were the obstacles both Wills had to get over, but they really didn't get over them, they never really changed. Maura was a straight up bi*ch, I don't care what her reasons were, what she did wasn't right. Jane felt generic. The only character I liked the slightest, was Tiny. He was the only one with personality, or any vitality to him. You know it's sad when you only connect to one character. 


I truly wish I could have loved this book more, but I don't. In my opinion, is is one of both authors least well done works. I still love John and David, and will continue to read their books. 


I'll next be reviewing Five Flavors of Dumb, by Antony John


Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment