Monday, April 16, 2012

Review #165: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Greetings everyone! It's been weeks since the last post, and I've missed you all so much :) <3 Back with a new review for y'all, and I hope you enjoy it :)


Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) is by actress/writer Mindy Kaling. Goodreads says:


Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut up about it?”

Perhaps you want to know what Mindy thinks makes a great best friend (someone who will fill your prescription in the middle of the night), or what makes a great guy (one who is aware of all elderly people in any room at any time and acts accordingly), or what is the perfect amount of fame (so famous you can never get convicted of murder in a court of law), or how to maintain a trim figure (you will not find that information in these pages). If so, you’ve come to the right book, mostly!

In 
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Mindy invites readers on a tour of her life and her unscientific observations on romance, friendship, and Hollywood, with several conveniently placed stopping points for you to run errands and make phone calls. Mindy Kaling really is just a Girl Next Door—not so much literally anywhere in the continental United States, but definitely if you live in India or Sri Lanka.



This book was utterly fantastic! Just brilliant and so so so freaking good. I devoured this book like candy (well, candy that took two weeks due to life getting in the way X_X). Mindy's voice is so funny, so refreshingly honest and purely fantastic, I never wanted the book to end. I loved reading about her life, her struggles, her feelings and observations. Like I said, her voice is funny, honest and real. I related to so much of what she was talking about. There were times when I laughed so loud from something Mindy said, everyone in the room turned to stare at me. Yes, the book was that funny to me. I just, this book cast a spell on me man. It's one of those instances where all I really want to do is type "this book is so good this book is so good this book is so good this book is soooooooo gooooooood." and that would be the entire post XD. Honestly, it's hard to describe how much I love this book. I liked it when Mindy was describing her friends, it felt like I was truly getting to know them and their personalities. Her life observations were probably my favorite parts of the book. Mindy is a brilliant observer. 


I can't wait to see Ms. Kaling's star continue to rise, and I hope she writes another book, because I will read the living daylights out of it. 


I'll next be reviewing Guts by Kristen Johnston.


Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment