Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Review #169: Guts by Kristen Johnston

Hello my wonderful and amazing friends! It has been almost a month since my last post, and I've missed you all so very much <3 To be honest, I was in a reading slump and very uninterested in the books I was reading. But now I'm back and better than ever! There's a lot to be posted today, so let's start with this review :)

Guts is the memoir by Kristen Johnston. Goodreads says:

 The two-time Emmy Award-winning actress has written her first book, a surprisingly raw and triumphant memoir that is outrageous, moving, sweet, tragic, and heartbreakingly honest. GUTS is a true triumph—a memoir that manages to be as frank and revealing as Augusten Burroughs, yet as hilarious and witty as David Sedaris. With GUTS, Johnston takes us on a journey so truthful and relatable, so remarkably fresh, it promises to stay with the reader for a long, long time.

 I wanted to like this book so much. It seemed like a great memoir and great insight into the head of an actress I like. Unfortunately the writing style Ms. Johnson used just completely put me off. I'm all for sarcasm and wit, but honestly the way she wrote made me feel like she thought here readers were idiots and was talking down to us. It just felt so off-putting, I literally could no longer read it. I tried, but the writing just felt so, I don't know.

I'll next be reviewing License to Pawn by Rick Harrison. 

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment