Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bad Book Round-Up #3

*Sigh* Guys, I was truly hoping that I wouldn't have to make one of these posts during this list. I was hoping and wishing and praying that I would not make a BBRU during this list. But that's the thing about hoping and wishing, they don't always come true. What's even worse is that this came after reading two books that were utterly brilliant. *Sigh* It's with a heavy heart I present to you these books on the chopping block.

1. A Need so Beautiful by Suzanne Young
  This one I was debating back and forth on for a while before I bought it on my Nook. The buzz for this book was mostly on Goodreads, and I saw that it got great reviews mostly. But I was only 30 pages in when I had to close it. It was just so....boring. I hate using that word when it comes to books, it's almost blasphemous. But sadly, this was a boring book. I just could not get into any of it, whatsoever. Not the story, the characters, the supernatural element, nothing. It didn't feel real. I know that Paranormal YA is supposed to be beyond just the real, but not entirely. There should be some kind of grounding, and there wasn't any. I really didn't like the boyfriend. He seemed a bit controlling to me. All in all just not good.

2. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab. 
   Another one with a good buzz and great reviews going for it. Since it was supposed to have a fairy tale element I thought that would make it even better. Alas, not the case. I disliked the main character, who seemed a bit too self involved. As far as I could tell, there was no fairy tale element. And one thing that bothered me was not being able to tell when this book took place. I know that seems a small thing to get hung up on, but little things count and tend to both me sometimes. It's my literary OCD come alive. Did this book take place in modern times? 1800's or earlier? I could not tell. I mean there were hints of a time when women were supposed to learn homemaking skills, so that might be a hint. Either way, I disliked this completely.

3. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
    This one is the most disappointing of these three. This book was crazy hyped up. It was all over Youtube and the blogosphere with nothing but good things spoken/written about it. Because of that, my hopes for Mara Dyer were sky high. Only to find out my hopes came crashing down in the worst way. The story felt wooden, Mara felt whiny and annoying, her love interest uninteresting. Nothing about this book was decent. I plan on returning to this book after a very lengthy hiatus. Maybe I'll forget how much I dislike TUOMD and will come back to it with a fresh mind. I hope. 

Well, that's it for this edition of Bad Book Round-Up. I truly hope I will not have to make another one of this post for a while. But then again I might be speaking too soon. Guess we'll have to see. 

I am currently reading and will hopefully write a full review for Bloodspell by Amalie Howard.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! There was a book I wanted to add to this Currently Reading list. It's Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay. Hope y'all don't mind. 

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment