Sunday, October 2, 2011

Review #71: Demon High by Lori Devoti

Hello hello everyone! It feels like it's been ages since I've last posted. I have missed all of you terribly, and can't wait to review this for you guys :)

Demon High is by Lori Devoti. Lucinda Dent is a sophomore in High School in the small town of Caldera. She lives with her grandmother in her old, run-down house. Lucinda is haunted by her mother's memory, who was addicted to demon calling, and one day disappeared. As the banks start closing in, Lucinda resorts to demon calling as a means to raise funds. But when a calling with goes wrong, our heroine accidentally releases demons. Over the next few days Lucinda realizes that some of the demons are now enrolled, and attending her High School! She might even possibly be falling for one of them. But then kids start going missing, and Lucinda must do all that she can to stop this monster from destroying everything.

Honestly, this book was just meh. It wasn't great, and wasn't bad, although I feel like I'm leaning towards disliking it. I didn't connect to the story, didn't feel anything at all really. There were a few times I just wanted to skip whole chapters and get on to where there might be action, but I didn't. Honestly, I just got bored, which rarely happens. This just feels like a run of the mill Paranormal Romance, nothing special. 

Lucinda was ok, at best. I could see how conflicted she felt about her demon calling, due to her past. But that was the only thing I got from her. She was so dull, she was as invisible as she kept telling me she was. Oscar, the love interest was even worse. Especially since his meta view on himself made me care even less. Also, I literally could not see any romance going on. There was, to me at least, no clear indication of these two falling in love, nothing at all. Well, only the times Lucy mentioned weird feelings she had while talking to him. But other than that, there was NO romance whatsoever. The only character I felt any kind of connection to was Brittany. She was conniving, witty and snarky, her banter with Lucinda was the only time I truly liked Lucy. Brittany saved this novel for me, the only truly enjoyable character. I loved her attitude and her reactions, and how she genuinely cared for Lucinda, as well as finding and saving the missing kids. 

Frankly, Devoti is a meh writer. I didn't like her style at all. It felt like she repeated herself over and over. Plus the writing felt stiff, lifeless. At times it seemed like Lucinda was stating things, not feeling them, and all the reactions were cardboard. 

If you adore Paranormal books, you might like this. I won't be reading it again. 

I'll next be reviewing Impulse Control and Hush Money by Susan Bischoff. 

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment