Thursday, October 27, 2011

Surprise Review! Review #82: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Guys! Guys!!!!!! This book is incredibly amazing. Also as a warning, there will be a lot of gushing about this book in this review. In fact, this entire review might only be gushing, but that just shows how good it is!!!

So this surprise review is on Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi!

Shatter Me is the first in a trilogy by the (amazing) Tahereh Mafi. Juliette has been locked up for 294 days. Kept in a cell because of the devastating power she holds in her hands, not touching anyone during her incarceration. Outside, the world is devastated. The clouds are a different color, the birds no longer fly, and the Reestablishment is the new governing body. Then one day, Juliette suddenly gets a cellmate, causing her entire world to change.

Brief thanks to my friend David, who sent me an ARC of this. When I got it in the mail, I literally took it out, held the book in my hands, and squealed and jumped up and down around my room for a good 2 minutes. So thank you David, thank you so much for sending me this :)

Oh. My. God. What the hell have I just read? What did I just read? I mean all that in the best sense possible. This book is a work of genius, and that genius is Tahereh Mafi. I was literally hooked from page one, only stopping for sleep, class, and all those pesky things keeping me away from this precious piece of literature. It's just so gripping, and the dystopian aspect is utterly unique, everything about this book screams amazing! This silly grin refuses to leave my face (not that I want it to ;D). Shatter Me is just one of those books that makes a person glad they love reading, and has that rare ability to make someone want to be a reader. This book is chock full of action, romance, intrigue, everything needed to keep a person interested. Without a doubt, this is high up there on my favorites of this year, and generally one of the best books of the year. 

Juliette was effing fantastic. You see/read her journey from a broken, self-loathing girl to an empowered heroine that kicks some major ass. I loved her snarky side, and how she fought hard for everything she believed in and wouldn't give in for a second. I feel we'd be close friends if she somehow existed. Of course, there is also Adam, her love interest. Oh man, I so wish I had an Adam. He was sweet, caring, loyal and intelligent, and all around a badass. The romance between Juliette and Adam was so sweet, I loved reading about their love. Nothing was rushed, since their love has a good back-splanation (that's right, I made up a word =bactory/explanation.^^ ). The love they shared felt real, making you crave a romance of your own. Kenji was pretty cool, although he annoyed me sometimes. Then there's Warner. Oh god, he made my flucking skin crawl. He's just so evil. There is no other word to describe him. I hate him so much I just wanted to smack the hell out of him. The other characters were well developed and lovely, an array of personalities that won't be forgotten. 

Mafi's prose is gorgeous. No other way to describe it. She has a unique writing style that hooks you in and makes you crave more. I loved how she built her world up so well, no plot holes or continuity errors. She knows how to craft a damn good story that takes you through the whole spectrum of emotions. Plus I've talked to her, and she is just so nice. She is a good person who wants to tell a good story, gotta love that. Tahereh, if you somehow are reading this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart (I've thanked you a lot, but I need to say it again lol). You wrote a amazing and story that touched me to my core, and for that alone you are brilliant. I will read everything you write without hesitation or fail. You are one of my absolute favorite authors of all time and can't wait to read the sequel!

Shatter Me officially comes out November 15th, when it comes PICK IT UP! I recommend this to anyone and everyone, and will definitely be buying a Nook copy as well. 

I'll next be reviewing Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst.

Until next time, viva la literature!

2 comments:

  1. I jealous you got an ARC of Shatter me. =] Awesome Review. I can't wait to read the book now. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael! It really is truly spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete