Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review #47: Gone by Michael Grant

Why hello there my lovely, amazing and patient literary comrades. I hope you all have been well. I apologize for not posting this sooner, but I got a job and barely have time to read anymore. Regardless, I've just finished this book today and can't wait to start gushing. Let the gushing commence!

Gone is the first in the Gone series by the brilliant and fantastically genius Michael Grant (fun fact, he's married to K.A Applegate, of Animorphs fame. How cool is that?). One day, in the sleepy, small town of Perdido Beach, all people ages 15 and up just disappear, gone (hehe gotta love that, using gone as the name of the book and then using it as the description). Which means only the kids 14 and under remain. Then an invisible shield closes Perdido Beach off from the rest of the world, isolating the kids. Simultaneously, some kids start developing supernatural abilities, as well as some with very sinister intentions coming down town. 

Holy Austin Power's mojo, where has this book been all my life? How have I not read it until now? It's absofreakinglutely brilliant. No matter, I've read it and had my mind properly blown. I know I've said that I absolutely adore some a good chunk of the books I've reviewed, but truly, this book is just, I can not find the words to explain. Grant writes so well, and puts together such a utterly spellbinding work of literature. I have a sneaking suspicion this book will not leave my conscious for quite a while. 

The story - how do I explain this in a neutral way? Ah, screw it, gushing it is! I ADORE this story. If I had a physical copy of Gone, I'd cuddle with it at night (is that weird?), it's that good. I love the idea of all people ages 15 and up just disappear, and an invisible dome covers the town, leaving the kids to fend for themselves. I went through the whole spectrum of emotions, and at some points almost threw my Nook against a wall (thankfully that didn't happen). There were so many brilliantly written twists that I thought my mouth would forever be in a state of shock, frozen like that as long as I live. You literally could not predict a thing in this book, which I love. I loved how we followed a great cast of characters, and how this story took a fantastic path. Plus that ending was unexpected, yet poignant and well done. It will shock you in the best sense of the word.

Characterwise, I loved every single character in their own way. Even the villains, because they were such great villains. I think Sam, Astrid and Edilio are my favorite characters. Yes, those three are absolutely my favorites. Sam is a perfect hero. He had a previous stint with heroism, yet preferred to fade into the backround. I love him so much, even though he's 14 and I'm 19. There's also the fact that he's fictional. His journey was fascinating, and kept me glued to my Nook when I was reading the book. Astrid was great as well. Seeing her go through things while figuring out that not everything has a logical explanation and she didn't know everything was brilliant. Also her relationship with her brother Little Pete was great to read about. She and Sam also had a bit of a romance going on, which came to be a great love, not insta-love, as well as being a great distraction from some of the action going on. Edilio flat out rocked. His loyalty to Sam, unwavering and true, struck a cord with me. I also felt for him when he dealt with some nasty talk about his race/nationality. I just love Edilio, period. Caine and Drake were utterly brilliant villains. I got chills just reading their dialogue and what went on in their heads. They are two of the most evil and sick villains I've ever read about. For that, I thank Michael Grant, because these days a good chunk of YA villains are half-assed, or not very evil or bad. These two, Drake and Caine, are evil incarnate, Drake moreso.

How do I explain my love of Michael Grant's writing? Simply put, he's a master, a genius. I fell in love with his writing. I adore it. The way he gets into what he writes, no matter what, is just beyond my imagination. His descriptions, his characters, his twists (oh my god, those twists.), just everything was sublime. He has most definitely become one of my all time favorite authors. 

I recommend this to ANYONE, I mean that. Anyone can love this. Yes there is violence, but it's not gratuitous, and adds to the story. 

I will put up my next currently reading list soon. Much love to you all.

Until next time comrades, viva la literature!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great series, I can't wait to read it, if I ever have time to get to it. And since you like it I just know I will too. =]
    Hope your new job is going well.

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, you'd love it. Lol thanks for the faith in my reviews :). It is, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete