Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review #53: Die for Me by Amy Plum

Hello again my friends! Got another review, since I devoured this book in one day. Literally one day. Lets go!

Die for Me is the first in the Die for Me series by Amy Plum. It centers around Kate Mercie, a 17 year old girl whose parents died, leaving her and her sister Georgia orphans. They move to Paris to live with their paternal grandmother and grandfather. While in a deep depression, Kate meets Vincent, a sexy, mysterious guy with a secret. As they fall deeper in love, Kate must decide whether or not to be with the guy of her dreams, or forgo him for a normal life. As she makes her decision, the evil counterpart of Vincent and his "family" close in, threatening to destroy Vincent and everything his family had done.

Oh. My. God. I adore this book. Almost to the level of worship. I can say this without a doubt, that it is one of my favorite books of the year. It has easily made my top 10 of all time favorites. Easily. It flowed so well, I could not stop reading. I was truly sucked into this beautiful and at times frightening tale. I wasn't kidding when I said I read this in one day. I started at around 3, and ended at 4 in the morning. I just adore this story. The ending was especially beautiful. Plus the concept is just brilliant. I have never seen a story about Revnants in YA. It was just refreshing and original and unique to YA. Quite a breath of fresh air it was.

Kate was great. I loved her character. I feel like she should be real, so that we could be be best friends. She was a great heroine to have. She never made poor choices, she knew what was right. And something I have to point out, which a reviewer I follow pointed out. There is a trope in YA right now about how heroines are such big readers. At one point, it'll be mentioned that the character has a large stack of books, but you never see them reading. As my fellow reviewer said, it was nice to see Kate actually reading. Vincent was fabulous. I so wish he were real, so I could be his girlfriend. Sorry Kate, but he's mine ;). So romantic and amazing. The side characters, like Ambrose, Georgia, Charlotte and Gaspard were fantastic. I loved all of them, again, even the villains. All well developed, given backstories, and never shoved to the side. 

I worship Amy Plum's writing style. It again, just flowed like a waterfall, and she built her world well. She knows how to craft a story and characters like a boss. 

I will say this flat: You'd be crazy not to read this book. It is flat out one of the best books this year.

I'll next be reviewing Angel Burn by L.A Weatherly. 

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment