Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review #141: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Incarnate is the first in the Newsoul Trilogy by Jodi Meadows. Goodreads says:

New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies--human and creature alike--let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?
Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.

Holy fucking shit (pardon my language), this book was amazing! Amazing I tell you, amazing! I would shout it from the rooftops if I could. No, really. I was scared sh**less as I started this book, because I had been hyper-excited for it, waiting on my heels excited. Thankfully, Incarnate fully exceeded my expectations and more. I love love love this concept, it is totally unique in YA right now. I also love how it's a blend of different genres, and they're well blended too. I loved Ana's journey into Heart, learning more about herself, and learning the implications of various actions. There were epic twists and turns, mixed with some subtle social commentary as well as going deep into the idea of reincarnation. One of the things I liked about the world was that is sort of mirrored our history, from the beginning up until now, only with some differences. Plus that ending threw me for an epic loop, and I can NOT wait for the second book. Dammit why is it not here yet. *Puts on pouty face*


Ana rocked. She was a perfect protagonist for this book. She was naive enough to learn, grow and develop throughout the novel, but shrewd and strong enough to take care of some shiz on her own, especially at the end. I love her development, and was rooting for her to succeed, and to flourish in the city of Heart. Plus she loved music, which made me like her even more :) Sam, the love interest/guide of the world was wonderful. He was smart, sweet, caring and loyal. Plus he was sexy as hell and would have done anything for Ana. Yup, can you guess that he's been added to my fictional character crush list? I also adored Stef. Stef was funny and made of awesome. She was a perfect best friend for Sam, as well as Ana. Li, Ana's mother, made me want to punch a wall. Damn, she was a horrifying human being. I was literally disgusted every time she appeared. I mean you could see how badly she terrorized Ana every time Ana mentioned her. Ugh, she was horrible. The other characters were wonderful, each having personality and vibrancy.


Damn Jodi Meadows, are you made of talent? No seriously, are you? I adore your writing style! It was excellent. I also love how you built your world, and how unique it was. I haven't read a book so wholly unique in a while. You wrote such an amazing book, and I have nothing book good things to say about you and this book/series. I can not wait for book 2 to come out!!!!


Was it worth the hype? Hell to the YES it was!!!!!


It seems that's the end of the now previous list. I will put the new one up shortly.


Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment