Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review #151: Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen

Alright y'all, last review of the day :) Lets get to it!

Keeping the Moon is by Sarah Dessen. Goodreads says:

Fifteen-year-old Colie is spending the summer with her eccentric Aunt Mira while her mother travels. Formerly chubby and still insecure, Colie has built a shell around herself. But her summer with her aunt, her aunt's tenant Norman, and her friends at the Last Chance Diner teaches her some important lessons about friendship and learning to love yourself.

I love this book :) My second Dessen book and so far nothing at all to complain about! Wahoo!!! :) But seriously, this book is wonderful. I can especially relate to this book because I've struggled with my weight my entire life, just like Colie. I know what it's like to be teased and bullied in school, and it is horrible. I'll get to it more when I talk about writing style, back to my thoughts on the plot. I loved this story. I loved watching Colie's journey of self love/acceptance, as well as finding friends and romance along the way. This whole story was full of realness, raw emotion, and pure loveliness. I enjoyed every second of Colie's summer in Colby. 

Colie was a great character. Like I said, I can relate to her with the weight and bullying issues. I loved watching her learn to accept herself, as well as having a good time at the Last Chance Diner and being around Norman, Morgan, Isabel and Mira. You root for her to be happy, have friends, and just have a good life free from bullying. Norman was so damn sweet. I love him and his quirkiness, odd habits, intelligence, etc. I think I fell in love with him. He was perfect for Colie. Morgan and Isabel were definitely the highlights of this book. As characters they stood on their own, while being even better together. I loved their loving and volatile relationship. You can see how much they care for each other, how close they are. I also love how they make each other better people. Morgan is the more loving, sweeter, more encouraging and naive of the duo. She befriends Colie first, and is the one who gets her the job at Last Chance. I loved reading her journey with her fiance. Isabel is the more cynical, nastier of the two, but I ended up liking her. She showed her softer side as the book went on, and you see her past and she explains why she thinks some of the things she thinks. Plus she gave the blunt truth, and I love that. She really guides Colie on her road to self acceptance. I ended up loving her as a character, bluntness and all. I also adored Mira, and her ability to ignore what people said about her. I wish she was my aunt. 

Again, Ms. Dessen is an excellent as hell writer. Her style is just so fluid and brilliant. I loved how well she portrayed someone who had deep scars from bullying. She is a freaking master at creating little corners of the universe where you are so totally invested in the story no matter what. Yup, I am a fan of Sarah Dessen now. And I couldn't be happier.

I'll next be reviewing The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment