Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review #149: A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

A Little Wanting Song is by Cath Crowley. The synopsis is:

CHARLIE DUSKIN loves music, and she knows she's good at it. But she only sings when she's alone, on themoonlit porch or in the back room at Old Gus's Secondhand Record and CD Store. Charlie's mom and grandmother have both died, and this summer she's visiting her grandpa in the country, surrounded by ghosts and grievingfamily, and serving burgers to the local kids at the milk bar. She's got her iPod, her guitar, and all her recording equipment, but she wants more: A friend. A dad who notices her. The chance to show Dave Robbie that she'snot entirely unspectacular.
ROSE BUTLER lives next door to Charlie's grandfather and spends her days watching cars pass on the freeway and hanging out with her troublemaker boyfriend. She loves Luke butcan't wait to leave their small country town. And she's figured out a way: she's won a scholarship to a science school in the city, and now she has to convince her parents to let her go. This is where Charlie comes in.Charlie, who lives in the city, and whom Rose has ignored for years. Charlie, who just might be Rose's ticket out.

It's quite strange. I loved Ms. Crowley's Graffiti Moon, but I detest this book. I could not, no matter how hard I tried, finish this book. The story itself was fine, it was the characters and the execution that made me quit. I thought this book was poorly written, I could not connect to the writing whatsoever. I also disliked Charlie and Rose. Charlie was so bland, she had almost no personality at all. There was nothing original about her, the stereotypical intellectual outcast who is alienated and ignored by everyone. Rose was a superficial bi()(), and I just did not like her vapid personality.

I don't know what went wrong, but I'm sorry I couldn't like this novel, because I really wanted to. I just couldn't

I'll next be reviewing Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment