Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review #148: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Graffiti Moon is by Cath Crowley. The synopsis is:

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.


This book was utterly excellent. I adored it in all it's cute, sweet, complicated glory. I thought this book was so sweet and pure in its essense, I couldn't help but fall in love with it. I loved the story of Lucy and Ed, chasing Shadow all over town, all the while falling in love and learning so much about each other in the course of one night. I loved watching them run around, having insight into who the protagonists are, while dealing with some issues that could also scare you.

I thought Lucy was a great heroine. She was odd, a bit naive, determined and hopeful, also a bit bossy. I thought she wasn't all that terribly likeable, but I loved being in her head, simply because her thoughts have this beautiful lyrical quality to them. Ed was probably my favorite character. He was so sweet, cynical, lovely and just amazing. My heart broke as I read his story, his past. I just wanted him to be happy, and have a good life. I also wanted him to finally get the girl, and do the right thing. He is this gorgeously flawed character, whom I fell in love with as I continued reading on. Leo, Ed's best friend, was alright. I thought he was a bit too much of a jokester, but you really see him shine as the novel goes on. I also loved how his poetry was added sporadically in between Lucy and Ed's POV's, it was beautiful, as well as commentary of the story as it progressed. Others such as Jazz, Ed and Lucy's parents, all of them were wonderful and fully fleshed out. I especially loved Jazz and Lucy's parents.

Ms. Crowley has a beautiful writing style. Like I said, it's incredibly lyrical and beautiful. I love how the story just glowed like a waterfal, from one point to another. She also made Lucy and Ed's journey's so real, as well as their love story. I can't wait to read more from her!

I'll next be reading A Little Wanting Song, also by Cath Crowley.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment