Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review #146: Soulless by Gail Carriger

Greetings everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful President's Week break :) Well, back to the grind, and I'm going to start it off (second day back xD) with a bunch of reviews for y'all :) Away we go! *A cool breeze spirits me away*

Soulless is the first in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. Goodreads says:

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.
Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?


I'd like to give a shout out to Wendy Darling from The Midnight Garden. If it wasn't for seeing her review on Goodreads, I don't think I would have picked this book up. Thanks Wendy for introducing me to this freaking amazing series! :)

Holy bleeping hell you guys. This book was AMAZAZING! I can't even describe how much I love this book, because it would have a lot of profanity added to "this book is so good this book is so good this book is sooooooooooooooo goooooood." You get my drift. This book, I can't even. It is so refreshing on its take on the paranormal, has some excellent steampunk, and a kick-ass romance. Plus strong and colorful characters whom attach themselves to you like gum on your show, but in a good way. I literally stayed up until 5 in the morining because I refused to sleep until I found out what happened in the end. I'm telling you, Soulless is boss, man. I was utterly addicted to this book from page one. I love the melding of steampunk and Paranormal Romance/alternative history. Alexia's journey of solving the mystery, along with Lord Maccon, was exceptional. I was trying to solve the mystery with them along the way, while rooting for them to succeed. Plus this book was just good, pure fun. I couldn't stop smiling at certain points, this novel is contagiously fun. I don't think I have read this fun of a paranormal book since I last read the Sabina Kane series.

Alexia is a BOSS y'all. She is blunt, sharp, witty and wickedly smart, plus she doesn't take anyone's crap. I felt an instant connection to our soulless heroine. I really truly think we'd be close friends in real life, because we both share the same traits. I loved being in her head, with her funny and sarcastic thoughts. I also loved reading her journey, emotional and plot driven journey. She is definitely a character to be reckoned with for sure. I felt for her when her family treated her horrendously. I wanted to shake them all and show them how wonderful Alexia was, and shame on them for thinking otherwise. Plus, she is a boss with a parasol! Lord Maccon, holy crap. He is a sexy sexy guy. I loved his white hot chemistry with Alexia. Their banter is just wonderful to read, and had me giggling and storing away some of their words to use in real life. I love how their romance started accidentally, because it came out of nowhere. Yet, when going back to the part before the romance started, you could see that their love made perfect sense. Maccon was strong willed, sharp, arrogant, and sweet. I loved watching his journey of wanting to solve the mystery with Alexia, also his journey of realizing his feelings for her. Apart from our two leads, without a doubt my second favorite character was Lord Akeldama. Holy crap, he is fabulous! I love love love love love Lord Akeldama! He is so sweet and witty and just purely awesome. I loved his conversations with Alexia, how he cared for her and wanted her to be happy, while also being snarkily wonderful. He is fabulousness incarnate, and I can't wait to see him again in the next book! I also adored Professor Lyall and Miss Hisselpenny, Alexia's best friend. Both were excellent best friends to our leads, while standing on their own as vibrant and three-dimensional characters. Especially Miss Hisselpenny, and her awesome friendship with Alexia. It felt like me and my best friend just talking and rolling our eyes at each other. Every character in this book shone on their own, even the villains. No one was cardboard, and I loved how fleshed out the side characters were, no matter who they were.

I worship the ground Ms. Carriger walks on. She has one of the best writing styles I have ever read in my life. She truly gets in the Victorian  mindset, setting it all up perfectly and did not make her syle hokey or out of whack with the time period. Plus her world is just fascinating, entirely fleshed out with room for more to come out of the woodwork. She paints such a vivid picture of Alexia's world, I just wanted to get lost in it. Plus her take on typical paranormal creatures was utterly original and fascinating. I can not wait to further explore her world and her characters in Changeless.

I'll next be reviewing Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment