Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Review #131: Midnight Alley by Rachel Caine

Midnight Alley is the third book in the Morganville Vampires series. Goodreads says:

When Claire Danvers learned that her college town was run by vampires, she did what any intelligent, self-preserving freshman would do: She applied for a transfer and stocked up on garlic. The transfer is no longer an option, but that garlic may come in handy.
Now Claire has pledged herself to Amelie, the most powerful vampire in town. The protection her contract secures does little to reassure those closest to Claire. All of a sudden, people are turning up dead, a stalker resurfaces from her past, and an ancient bloodsucker extends a chilling invitation for private lessons in his secluded home. To what end, Claire will soon discover---and it will give a terrifying new meaning to night school.

For my review of book 2, The Dead Girls' Dance, click here.

After the disaster that was Heat Rises, this book came as a welcome relief. Honestly, this series is like tomato juice, I  just lap it up. The story in Midnight Alley was wonderful, suspenseful, and full of character/relationship drama. Even though it's only the third book, I'm always happy to return to the world of Morganville. The story kept me invested, I had to know what was going on, and I was shocked by the twists. Plus that cliffhanger ending, dang Ms. Caine, you really know how to rope a girl in :) Case in point, this story, and the series, rock.

Not much to say about Claire and the members of the Glass House, except even more character growth and development happen, tension between them was palpable, and I just love reading their relationships. Shane and Claire are quickly becoming one of my favorite literary couples. You can really see how much they care for each other, how much they love one another. The same goes for Eve and Michael, who had some excellent growth most of all, and the tension between him and Shane was kind of fun to read. New characters enter the scene and fit in excellently, such as one important new character who I loved. All of my favorite characters came back, even the ones I hated were good.

I can't say much about the writing style, other than it's consistently great. I adore Ms. Caine's style, and how she keeps expanding this world, adding new and interesting pieces of information that are purely fascinating. I can't wait to dive into the fourth book.

That brings us to the end of this most current List. I shall post the new one up shortly.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment