Monday, January 9, 2012

Review #124: Size 14 Is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot

Dear friends! How are you guys? Hope your weekends were lovely :) I've got a review for y'all tonight, and I hope you enjoy it :). So sit back, relax, and away we go! 

Size 14 Is Not Fat Either is the second novel in the Heather Wells Series by the wonderful Meg Cabot. Goodreads speaks:

Former pop star Heather Wells has settled nicely into her new life as assistant dorm director at New York College--a career that does not require her to drape her size 12 body in embarrassingly skimpy outfits. She can even cope (sort of) with her rocker ex-boyfriend's upcoming nuptials, which the press has dubbed The Celebrity Wedding of the Decade. But she's definitely having a hard time dealing with the situation in the dormitory kitchen--where a cheerleader has lost her head on the first day of the semester. (Actually, her head is accounted for--it's her torso that's AWOL.)
 
Surrounded by hysterical students--with her ex-con father on her doorstep and her ex-love bombarding her with unwanted phone calls--Heather welcomes the opportunity to play detective . . . again. If it gets her mind off her personal problems--and teams her up again with the gorgeous P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives--it's all good. But the murder trail is leading the average-sized amateur investigator into a shadowy world. And if she doesn't watch her step, Heather will soon be singing her swan song!

For my review of the first book, Size 12 Is Not Fat, click here

I LOVED this book! A great addition to this series. Heather grows a bit, while still being her kick-ass self. I loved the inventive way Meg set up the mystery, each revealed bit had my eyes bugging with me thinking "Holy Sh*t!" I mean it, each twist had me jumping like jump rope. And that ending, and that villain. I mean holy tightwad that villain scared the f&ck out of me, no joke. I got cold when the villain spoke. Well, he's one of the villains, but still O.O. I loved the tension and all the different aspects, like Heather's Dad entering the picture, the possibility of performing again, her relationships with the Cartwright brothers, all of it was just so good

Heather still kicked ass. Being a bigger girl like her, I know how she felt with that aspect of her. Plus we're both New Yorkers, and I feel like I think how she thought sometimes. I loved her determination to solve the mystery, and how unafraid she was of the increasingly dire situations. She is such a great character, and I really think if one of us were younger or older, we'd be great friends. Or she could be my awesome older sister. Cooper, dayum, Cooper. Ugh, he's so freaking sexy, sweet, and plain amazing. I can see why Heather loves him, even though he is a bit overprotective. You can see he cares for Heather, and I so wish he'd act on it. Magda wasn't in the picture as much as I'd like, but she was still a great character. Characters like Reggie and a student whom I forget the name of (XD) entered the picture, and added such great flavor to this novel. I really liked Heather's Dad. You feel how much he loves his daughter, and just wants her to forgive him. I admit he was a bit naive, but all in all he was excellent. Like I said, the villain gave me shivers. I mean it, damn. 

Ms. Cabot dazzled me again. She kept up the quality of this series, kept my interest, and like I said crafted an inventive mystery that yes, while a tad cliche, still creatively awesome. Cabot, in my opinion, is a genius and great author, who can move from genre to genre with ease. I also loved how she kept up with the song lyrics in front of each chapter, this time using lyrics from songs Heather wrote herself. I love that bit, especially it reflects Heather's emotions in that chapter. Seriously, I adore Ms. Cabot's works.

I'll next be reviewing Heroes Til Curfew by Susan Bischoff.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment