Monday, January 23, 2012

Review #128: Great Hexpectations by H.P. Mallory

Here's the final review of the night y'all, enjoy it!

Great Hexpectations is the third novel in the Dulcie O'Neil series. Goodreads states:

A misunderstanding turned deadly.

A fairy in law enforcement who won't stop until the truth is uncovered.

A vampire who seems to be her ally but appearances can be deceiving.

And a partner who would put his own life on the line to defend hers.

Dulcie O'Neil knows she's at fault for failing to arrest a wanted criminal but when her partner gets pinned for the crime, she'll stop at nothing to ensure his innocence.

What Dulcie isn't planning on is a trip to the infamous Netherworld where chaos rules.

Between battling the affections of a mysterious vampire, protecting herself from monsters and ensuring the innocence of the one man who would die for her, Dulcie's trip to the Netherworld isn't sunshine and strawberry daiquiris.

For my review of the second book, A Tale of Two Goblins, click here.

Honestly, this book was meh. It just was not as good as the other books. I don't know what it is, I just did not get into this book like I did the others. I feel like the middle was not up to par with the other Dulcie books. The characters were not as good, nothing was really the same. The only truly good part, at least to me, was the ending. The ending made this book, although I admit the cliffhanger at the end, come on! I mean it was good, and I was shocked, but really? That's how you end your book? With that sentence? XD.

Dulcie was not as good of a character in this book. I did like her personal growth, but that was it. Not much else about her in this book. I did not like Knight at all in this book, although I give credit to Ms. Mallory for moving his relationship with Dulcie forward (Although I felt a bit uncomfortable with a scene between them that I felt went a bit too long -_-) He was gone for a while right after said development, then had this really protective bit that was too much. Also Bram, really? I feel like he was a bit chopped up as a character. Just disappointing.

Ms. Mallory really disappointed me in this book. I feel like everything I discussed above says it all about how I feel about this book. I do think Ms. Mallory's writing was consistently good, I'll give her that much.

I'll next be reviewing Dream Dark and Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment