Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Review #62: A Tale of Two Goblins by H.P. Mallory

Hello hello hello! I hope the week has been treating everyone well. :)

I have a bit of sad news. I've decided to stop doing In My Mailbox. I know I've only done 3, but to be frank, it just takes too much time.Hunting down the links to each and every book every week is extremely time consuming. I know I could do a vlog, but I don't feel like whipping out my laptop every Sunday to show you the books on my Nook. Now you can call me lazy, whatever you choose. But with my schedule, I have to shelf IMM on this blog for a while. I'll possibly/probably reinstate it later on when my schedule lets up. But for now, I must discontinue this feature. I hope y'all understand. 

Now onto the book review!

A Tale of Two Goblins is the second in the Dulcie O'Neil series by H.P. Mallory. Dulcie assists her sexy boss/partner Knight Vander in a case involving people suddenly falling into a coma, slowly dying. Dulcie starts contemplating who is committing this crime slowly, until her best friend Sam becomes a victim. Now Dulcie must race against the clock to save her best friend, and protect those she loves from a monster out to get revenge on her. 

On a brief side note, H.P. Mallory's hosting a contest to be a character in this series' third book, Great Hexpectations. If you want to enter the contest, click here

If you want to read my review of the first book, To Kill a Warlock, click here

I liked this book a lot. It was a great installment in a great series. It was fast paced, well written, and just plain fun. Although I didn't really enjoy the sudden serious moment near the end, I still love it. The idea of people being hurt/killed in your dreams isn't a new concept, but I like Mallory's take on it. Plus the banter between the characters, especially Dulcie and Bram, was fantastic. The winking side plot of Dulcie writing a Paranormal book was great, an in thing that was deeply enjoyable.

Dulcie is a great character, that thankfully hasn't changed. She's still kick ass and sarcastic and all around awesome. I love that you get to see a more vulnerable side to her, as well as how she will literally do anything to save/protect those she loves (case in point that one part near the end that I didn't like). She grows a lot and makes mistakes, while owning up to them and moving on. I wish Sam was in the book more, but I can understand why she wasn't, as she was the real catalyst for the story. Knight was sexy as ever, although he did pursue Dulcie a bit too hardcore for my taste, he was still sexy and fabulous. I love his chemistry with Dulcie, and their banter is great to read, since it oozes chemistry and sexual tension. I love how Quillan was brought back, although not as much as I'd have liked. I loved every scene with him in it. And of course Bram, who has become one of my favorite Dulcieverse characters. He reminds me a lot of Jean-Claude from the Anita Blake series, only slightly toned down, but still fun and witty. I really loved his scenes and his banter with Dulcie, by far my favorite scenes. 

H.P. is a fantastic author. She builds upon the world she's created well, writes great characters (<3 Bram), and has a fluid, well done writing style. I can't wait for more books from her!

I'll next be reviewing FM for Murder by Patricia Rockwell.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment