Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review #58: Fins are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs

Salutations my lovely and wonderful friends! Have another review for ya, since this book was so short. 


For my review of Forgive my Fins, click here.


Fins are Forever is the second in the Fins series. Lily's 18th birthday nears, and once it turns midnight on that day, she will sign her royal claim away to be with the boy she loves. All of a sudden, her human-hating cousin Dosinia shows up at her door in "terraped" (aka human) form. She has been exiled and sent to Lily to learn to love humans. As Lily gives Doe the crash course, Doe bats her eyes at Lily's former crush, Brody. Lily also meets a childhood friend, Tellin, again. Caught between love and duty, Lily must choose where her future lies, on land or in the sea. 

Honestly, this book was meh. It was alright, and I wished it was better. I anticipated this book with such vigor. Forgive my Fins was such a beautiful and funny book. I was hoping this installment would be even better than FMF. But the story was just so.....ehhhh. It went by so quickly, I think the whole book took place over the course of a week. Plus it all just ends too neatly. I won't give away what happens, but it all was too cleaned up. I mean, it felt gift wrapped and presented on a silver platter, with a prettyful bow on top. I'm all for a happy ending, but it felt rushed and well, I know I'm repeating myself, but too happy. 


Lily was still great as a character, although I didn't see much growth. She remained the same, with little growth whatsoever. Quince seemed to devolve a little into a jealous jerk. Brody matured a little bit, but not by much. All the characters felt one note and cardboard-y. Plus it also felt like a formulaic re-visitation of FMF. 

I'm sorry, but Childs' writing has not evolved. I still love her writing, but it didn't change from FmF to FAF. I wish it did. 


If there's a third book, I hope it gets better, because I love this series, and would hate to see it end on such a meh note. 


I'll next be reviewing Hunger by Michael Grant. 


Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment