Monday, May 30, 2011

Review #18: Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Hello my literary comrades! Happy Memorial Day once again! And to those who are in other countries and don't celebrate, happy day to you! Alright lets get started, I can't wait for this review! Ahhhh

Forgive My Fins is an amazing book by Tera Lynn Childs. It's about Lily Sanderson, who at first glance is a teenage girl who loves fish and water. You find out she is half mermaid, half human, or "terraped" as the mermaids call them. Not only that, but she is the princess of an underwater kingdom. Hi-jinks ensue when Lily accidentally mer-bonds with her worst enemy, Quince Fletcher. 

Ahhh, I can't even explain how much I love this book. It's so fresh and interesting. Plus of course it has a swoon worthy guy. It's a nice twist on the mermaid mythology, with a great love story as well. The way it was all set up was brilliant. 

Lily is a good person to follow. She's not perfect by any means, and that's good. She's independent, sarcastic and witty. Sometimes you do want to shake her and say "look at what's right in front of you! Why can't you see?" But she is very relatable, and you follow her journey with a hungered way about you. And Quince, oh boy Quince. I know I've said this A LOT, but what is it about fictional men that make them so bloody attractive? If one of y'all know please drop me a line. He is that bad ass kid who loves to annoy the protagonist, but secretly loves her and has a sweet caring side. He is so hot, I felt like he would burst into flames if that was possible. (on land of course) Oh how I wish he was real. I also loved Lily's father. He really loved her, and wanted what was best for her, even when Lily didn't know herself. Man I wish he was my dad. Lily's two best friends Peri and Shannen could not have been more different, but they were fantastic. Could you tell I loved all the characters? Even the "bad guys" were sort of likable, also good characters. 


I loved Tera Lynn's writing style. It was fresh and lovely. I liked her use of oceanic terminology. It's nothing you can't understand, which is nice. I also loved the descriptions of Thalassinia. It seemed so real. Also the way Childs set up her worlds, and mythology was utterly brilliant.


I've officially added another book to my favorites this year. I highly recommend this and suggest you pick it up in any way soon. :) Hope y'all enjoyed Memorial Day or just had a very good day. :)


Until next time comrades


Viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment