Sunday, May 15, 2011

Review #10: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Hello my literary comrades! Lovely to see you all again. Well, lets get to it. Put on your glasses, sit in your reading chairs, and lets go!

Divergent by Veronica Roth is a dystopian novel, by the debut author Roth. This is also another "hype" book, as in it has garnered a lot of reviews and opinions on it. And in my personal opinion, it is well worth it. It takes place in a future dystopian society, where Chicago is separated into five factions. The factions are Abegnation - Selflessness, Erudite - Smart, Candor - Honest, Amity - Friendly, and Dauntless - Brave/Fearless. Each faction is devoted to cultivating these personality traits, and when one turns sixteen, they take an aptitude test to see which faction they fit most. Beatrice Prior takes her aptitude test and gets Divergent, which means something dangerous. At the choosing ceremony, she surprises everyone, including herself, by choosing Dauntless as her faction. And that is where the story truly begins. 

I will come and say it straight out, I LOVED this book. I truly LOVED it, in all caps. I fell in love the minute I read the opening scene. It just had a good plot, with lots of twists and turns. There were many moments when you just stop and say "WHAT???? NO!!!!" which in my book is an example of a great book. When you find out why being divergent is so bad, you can't believe it. Also the things some people are willing to do can be utterly gut wrenching.That's a great thing, when the book is unpredictable in a world where there are so many formula writers. 

Now onto characters. I LOVED Tris. She is a great example of a dynamic character. She started out as shy and well, invisible, as she says she was taught to be. But as the book goes on, she gradually changes into a, and I'm stealing this phrase, an BAMF. She becomes a badass who isn't afraid to speak her mind and defend what she believes in and who she loves. She, in my opinion, and I know I'm repeating this, of a dynamic character. Her journey is so interesting to watch, you can't help but be captivated. I also loved Four, whose name is revealed near the end. He isn't like the other love interests you see, he is gentle and kind, yet can turn on the badassery in a minute. Plus his and Tris' love story isn't instant, it progresses naturally. Also Christina was hilarious, a perfect sidekick. 

I can not believe that this is Ms. Roth's first novel, it feels like she's been writing books forever. Her style of writing is just fantastic. I love how she describes everything, like you're right there with the characters. Also she writes dialogue very well, so that was a bonus. 

I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone, it is that good. I am eagerly anticipating the next novel in the trilogy. 

Until next time comrades

Viva la literature!

2 comments:

  1. Great review of the book. =] I am on page 46 now and can't wait to see what happens in it. I love the story so far too. Roth is a great writer. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks my friend. Glad you like it. It get even better from there. And agreed she's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete