Monday, May 23, 2011

Review #15 Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Hello my literary comrade! I'm back with another review. So get on your reading glasses, sit in your comfortable chair, and lets go!

Across the Universe is by Beth Revis. It is a science fiction based book about a girl named Amy Martin. At first she is being cryogenically frozen to join her parents on a ship that will send them to a new earth in order to colonize. 50 years before the ship lands Amy is unexpectedly reanimated, severing her connection to her parents and forever preventing her from being with them at her present age. She meets Elder, the next in line to lead the ship, and they form an unexpected connection (you can tell that I'm using unexpected a lot, right? XD) Along the way Amy and Elder start to uncover a sinister plot to kill the other remaining frozen "cargo" on the ship, and other sinister plots, while falling in love in the process.

I loved this book. No, let me rephrase that. I LOVED this book. To say that is is crazy good is a complete and utter understatement. The plot might be the most brilliant original thing, or not, either way I love it. I love how Beth Revis sets up her world, and just sucks you in, making you want to continue reading like a sugar addict trying to find more candy. You find yourself not wanting to leave the book for anything, especially from the second half on. I can't even begin to describe how good the climax was, and all of the many plot twists that are beyond perfect. If you can go back into a book and see seedlings of the twists and bang your hand on your head and say "why did I not see that before?", then that is a good twist. In my book at least. I can not stress enough how good the plot was. Man, it was just beyond words good.

Character wise, I connected evenly with Amy and Elder, though admittedly Amy more so. I guess that's because we are both from earth, and I could relate to her story and struggles more than I could Elder. I love how her mind works, because I feel that's how my mind is sometimes. I loved how clever she was, and how she was able to see past the facade of peace and calm. Though I do love that she also had her vulnerable moments, and she was vulnerable to the ship's strong pull. Elder was a great character as well, and I love his transition from wearing rose colored glasses to being fully aware and realizing the consequences of the actions of those he cares about, and also himself. The array of side characters were fantastic as well, like Harley. Man do I love Harley. I loved how crazy he was, but in a good way. Also how much he really cared for Elder and Amy, who he accepted immediately. His story was just so interesting and complex, I felt for him and rooted for him and cried for him. I loved how Amy and Elder's love was not easy, there were bumps along the way, and a trust had to come together.

I loved Beth Revis' writing style. It is so fluid, the way she goes back and forth from Amy and Elder's perspectives. I felt that there were clear distinctions in who was telling the story, and the way she described everything, it was just brilliant. A beautiful and fluid way of writing can get you much praise, at least from me.

I absolutely adore this book, and recommend it highly to anyone who likes a good sci fi romance with hints of dystopia. Although if you just love a good story, you will love this.

Until next time comrades.

Viva la literature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment