Thursday, May 5, 2011

Review #6: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Hello my literary comrades! It's been a few days since we've last convened here. But I'm back with another review. Let us not waste time, so get on your reading glasses, sit in your chairs, and lets go!

City of Bones is by Cassandra Clare. It's the first in her wildly popular Mortal Instruments series. It starts out about a girl named Clary Fray, who discovers some strange teens roughly her age in a nightclub. Her mother is shortly kidnapped, and Clary is introduced to the world of the Shadowhunters, people endowed with angel blood who kill demons/downworlders to protect humanity. 

First off, I loved the world Ms. Clare set up. It's quite intricate but somehow believable. I love how she creates such great ideas and characters that you become deeply involved and ingrained in the story very quickly. There was that fast paced page a minute ride only a great action/thriller novel can create. There were so many moments I yelled out "WHAT?? WHAT WAS THAT?? NO!!!" that my head was spinning. The twists and turns were just brilliant.

Now onto characters. I LOVED Simon.(is it odd that I have a fascination with the men in each book I read? xD). He is so funny and sarcastic, I feel like he could be my best friend in real life. Plus the way he handles being thrown into this world he never knew about was great, and very realistic. Clary was a great classic heroine. She starts out a proverbial fish out of water, and over the course of the novel becomes well informed and knowledgeable. Jace was the typical cocky hot guy, with the secret sweet side to him. But boy did he make it work. If Alex Pettyfer plays him in the movie, it would be too perfect.

I thought the 3rd person omniscient style of writing was perfect for this book, though at times I wish it was first person. I liked seeing all sides of the story, from every angle. It felt like a panning shot in a movie the whole time. Ms Clare can be very witty and wrote some great banter between the characters. 

I'd give this a 5 star rating. An excellent book, and an excellent start to the Mortal Instrument series. Can't wait until the next book.

Until next time my comrades

Viva la literature!   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment