Sunday, May 8, 2011

Review #7: Shiver by Maggie Steifvater

Hello my literary comrades! I'm here with another review. This time it's Shiver, by Maggie Steivater. Get on your reading glasses, sit in your comfortable chairs and lets get started!

Shiver is by Maggie Steifvater. It takes place in Mercy Falls, Minnesota. It is about a 17 year old girl named Grace. She has been obsessed with wolves almost her entire life, since she was saved by one when she was very young. Then one day a wolf gets shot in the woods and she finds it transform into a human, Sam. Grace realizes that it is HER wolf. From then on the story plays out like a pseudo Twilight, only better. Grace and Sam fall in love, but there is danger lurking in Mercy Falls, and only Sam and Grace must stop it. 

I absolutely adored the plot. It had romance and suspense and teen drama in all the right places. While I love Twilight, I feel like this is how Twilight should have been. I loved how the romance between Sam and Grace developed. It wasn't rushed and they weren't a picture perfect couple. They fight like any couple. Plus the tension in the town was palpable, I felt it in my heart. And the ending. The ending was fantastic. It was just so good, I couldn't help but smile.

Now onto characters. Ok, I'll say it straight out, I love Sam. I know I've said it about almost every male lead/co-lead in all of the books I've reviewed, but every book has a amazing male character that just gets to me. He's so gentle and honest, and just a brilliant character. And Grace was fantastic as well. Like I said, she's almost an anti-Bella. She doesn't need Sam to exist, she is independent and can take care of herself. Plus she's logical and doesn't fly into crazy ideas and actions. I also loved Isabel, and how she developed over the course of the novel. 


I loved Ms. Steifvater's writing style. She used wit and intelligence, but didn't talk down with the intelligence. The banter between all of the characters was brilliant, especially between Sam and Grace. 


I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good supernatural romance. 


Until next time my comrades


Viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment