Sunday, September 11, 2011

Review #61: The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells

Ciao everyone! I hope this day was filled with remembrance for those who lost their lives, and how 10 years ago, our country changed. I honestly can't believe that it was the 10th anniversary of 9/11 mere minutes ago. O.O Anyway, yes yesterday (it's past midnight here) was sad, and filled with memories, but we must move on, as our loved ones would want. This review will not disappoint. Just to let you know, I'll be doing my IMM for this week tomorrow. It's just too late for me to hunt down the links on Goodreads and put the post together tonight. I'm sorry. But I promise tomorrow the post will be filled with amazing books! :) So without further ado, here it is!: 

The Mage in Black is the second book in the Sabina Kane series by Jaye Wells. Sabina has just betrayed the only "family" she's ever known, while being betrayed by her actual family, her grandmother and head of the vampires. She heads to NY to meet her long lost twin sister, along with Adam the sexy mage, and Giguhl, her demon familiar/minion. While there, our intrepid hero becomes engrossed in Mage politics, learns more about her family, embraces and expands her mage powers, and more! But the tensions between the races are mounting, and Sabina finds she is in the middle of it all.

For my review of the first book, Red Headed Stepchild, click here

It's official, I'm in love with this series. Truly, I am. It is one of the best series out there, possibly one of my favorite series of all time. Yup, over the course of two books, Jaye Wells has enchanted me and enthralled me, making me adore and worship her sick skills as an author. I mean it, this is probably one of the most well written, amazing series' out there, also one of the best vampire series. Anyone can read, and love it. 

This story was fantastic. It starts off fairly slow (well as slow as it can get for Sabina Kane), and gradually builds up to the brilliant action-y ending, making you want more. You keep reading, loving the details, the path the story takes. Plus this book is hilarious. I could not stop laughing at certain points. I know that the Stephanie Plum novels are funny, and they are. But I admit it freely that this series is even funnier, especially since about vampires, mages, etc. I literally had to stifle a laugh while reading before class. New characters are added into the mix, and well done too. You are brought into the narrative from line one, page one.

Sabina is amazing. She's that kick-ass older sister you always want. Protective, sarcastic, snarky and cynical. She has a lot of inner demons (no pun intended) to work out, but that makes you love her even more. Plus she's more relatable that way. I mean, no one can relate to a character who's utterly perfect, it just can't happen. You read about Sabina's journey, especially in this one, and can't help but want to help her, be there for her. Adam, well I can't say much, since he was really only in the beginning and end of the novel. I hope there's more of him in the third book, especially because of the way the book ended. More Adam, Jaye Wells! Giguhl was fabulous as always. Snarky and sarcastic, but loyal to Sabina, he makes me fall in love with him even more. I know we're supposed to be team Adam, and I know he'll never be with Sabina, but I am team Giguhl all the way! He is sexy and wonderful. I would love a Giguhl in real life. He grows a lot more in this one. You see a vulnerable side, which makes him even sexier. New characters like Maisie are fascinating. Maisie is the polar opposite of Sabina. She was raised by their mage grandmother, and to see how different she is from Sabina truly is fascinating. Plus she has her moments where you see that she really is the twin sister of Sabina Kane. I loved Maisie, can't which is why the ending made my gut wrench. Rhea was fantastic, I loved her. She's Adam's mother, so there's a connection. But she stands out on her own. I love how she handles Sabina. My god, she is fantastic. Others like Slade, Orpheus, etc are just fun, although I wanted to smack Orpheus numerous times, he was still fun in a little way.

Ms. Wells has quickly become of of my all time favorite authors. Ms. Wells, if you somehow stumble across this review, let me say I am officially a massive fan. You have created such a unique, fascinating, and rich world that is so spellbinding, you can't help but love it. Your characters are so rich and interesting, loveable, hateable, all the good things characters should be. You are a extremely talented author, and I can not wait to see more from you, as well as continuing this wonderful confection of a series.

As you can tell, I love this book, it is excellent in the best sense of the word. Anyone can read it, if fact, READ THIS SERIES!!! STAT!!!!!

I'll next be reviewing A Tale of Two Goblins by H.P. Mallory

Until next time, viva la literature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment