Saturday, June 25, 2011

Review #31: Red Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

Hello my awesometastic literary comrades! Hope the weekend is going well for everyone. :) Saw Bad Teacher tonight, it was alright. More funny due to the gags, but it was nice to laugh the whole movie. Anyway I digress, lets get back to books :)

Red Headed Stepchild is by Jaye Wells. It's the first in the Sabina Kane series. It's about Sabina Kane, a half mage, half vampire raised by her vampiric maternal grandmother. She is an assassin, the only real job outcasts like her (due to her taboo lineage) can take, and she's good at it. Sent on a reconnaissance mission in enemy territory. There, her believes and everything she knows is challenged and changed. 

I really really REALLY love this book. I would shout it from the rooftops if able to (although my neighbors wouldn't like that lol). It's a brilliant take on vampire and supernatural mythology, plus I love the plot period. It has fantastic twists and turns, and you can't see anything coming. I love love love the idea of a half vampire half assassin going deep into an enemy organization and having her whole world shaken. I don't want to talk to much about the plot but it was fantastic and you should read it! I almost cried near the end because of a twist that happens, that is amazing, and shows how good this book is.

How can I say how much I love the character of Sabina? She is a kickass assassin, but also vulnerable, especially because of her heritage, which is looked down upon by mostly everyone, therefore she is never truly accepted, even by her grandmother. She is snarky and funny, but again also vulnerable and capable of deep thought. Because the book is in her POV, you get a lot of her inner monologue.  She doesn't take sh-t from anyone and I like that. She's also headstrong and strong willed (are those the same thing? I never know) which is fun to read about. I loved her grandmother as a character. She is chilling and a bit scary, which is good because I like feeling that from a villain. You hate her in such a strong way you want to jump into the book and smack her repeatedly (was that just me? xD). But she was a perfect villain. Clovis was downright creepsters mgcee, really and truly. It scared me how calm he was, and the way he treated Sabina (you'll see if you read the book). Gighul (I think that's how you spell it) Was awesome. A funny, fantastic character. I love love loved him and his funny comments and his relationship with Sabina. Same goes for Adam. He was fantastic, and I loved his and Sabina's banter. In essence all of the characters rocked in varying forms. 

I love Jaye Wells' writing style. From the opening line to the last line, I fell hard for this book. It is so well written, she has become one of my favorite authors. When this book first came out it was Ms. Wells' debut, and it's a good one at that. I hope she has a long and illustrious career. I absolutely adore the mythology she created in this book. It's unlike any other supernatural/paranormal book I've ever read, and I can see it making total sense. I love when a mythology is either completely new or a fresh amazing spin on the old mythologies. 

I HIGHLY suggest you pick this book up if you can. It is utterly fantastic and bloody (no pun intended) brilliant. Y'all need to read this book stat. I'm serious.

My next review will be on My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent.

Until next time comrades.

Viva la literature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment