Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review #25: Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell

Hey my lovely and amazing literary comrades! Hope the weekend was fantastic for everyone. Saw Jumping the Broom last night and it was fantastic! So funny with a good story to go along with it. Anyway lets talk books :)

Postmortem is the first in the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. It centers on chief medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta, while she follows/works on a series of slayings thought to be the work of a serial killer. Meanwhile she is given hell from superiors, her genius niece with a potty mouth is staying with her, has issues at her office, etc. 

I think this is the second book I've reviewed here that I really didn't like. I mean I can see it being enjoyable for other people, otherwise I don't think the series would continue for as long as it has. But I just couldn't get into it. I felt the plot was generic, already used numerous times by other authors that I could not enjoy it like I should have. Maybe I'm just burnt out with procedural books and Law and Order and all that. Who knows, but I do know I felt myself dragging to finish this book. It's, in my opinion at least, a generic plot with generic characters and everything generic. The twists at who committed everything surprised me, and I liked only one character, but that was it. Which saddens me, because I try to like every book I read.

Kay, oh Kay (no pun intended xD) I wanted to like her, I really did. Hell maybe I did a little bit. She was the generic feisty independent woman who worked in crime/death.I liked her best when she was with her niece Lucy and talking about/to her family. I just couldn't like her otherwise. I feel like the only character I truly liked was her niece Lucy. She was interesting, a genius who is deeply neglected by everyone in her life but Kay. She lashes out when she feels hurt or threatened, and is innocent despite her intellect. She had a foul mouth, and that sadly was never explained. 

I feel like Ms. Cornwell tried too hard to make the perfect story. Her dialogue is ok at best, and there is, in my opinion too much description and medical jargon. 

If you like crime novels you might like this. I tried so hard but just could not make myself enjoy this. 

I have a review as soon as I am done with this for The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Gothgirl. 

Until next time comrades

Viva la literature!   

No comments:

Post a Comment