Thursday, June 2, 2011

Review #20: The Fallen by Celia Thomson

Hello again  my literary comrades! I know, two reviews in one day again. But that's because I finished both books really quick. So lets start!

The Fallen is the first book in The Nine Lives of Chloe King series. It's about a sixteen year old girl named Chloe King. She falls off a high tower and dies, but then wakes up and realizes she's still alive. That starts a whole chain of events that Chloe is not prepared for.

I'll say that I found out about the tv show adaptation first, then from a friend saw that it was based on a series of books by Liz Braswell, and that started a curious adventure (gotta love pen names ^^). From there I got the book and I'm glad I did. :)

I love this story. I loved the ride it took me on, whether it was slow or fast, or even medium. The plot was fun to read about, and went by so fast I barely noticed I was done. 

Characters: I like Chloe, but she's not necessarily the best heroine. I'm sorry, I understand that when your two best friends are dating, you feel left out. But Chloe just whined and whined, and then whined some more. Then she goes out and gets mixed up with two, I'm sorry, three guys. I do love the way she handles her new found abilities though. She's freaked out, then intrigued and wants to hone them. That was really all I liked about her. I did love Paul though. He was sweet and sensitive and kind, and cared about Chloe even though he was dating Amy. He realized he was wrong and tried to patch the trio back up. Concerning Amy, eh. I mean the only times she's really nice during the novel are the beginning and the end, with bits and pieces in the middle. She's a self absorbed b*tch most of the time too concerned with her new boyfriend to see what's happening to Chloe. She wasn't all that endearing, until the end when, as I said, she was back to being Chloe's friend again. I feel like she was Bella blind to ignoring Chloe. I also liked Brian, who is interesting and cool. Aleyc, not so much, even though he does have potential. 

I do adore how this book was written, Braswell/Thomson really knows how to write teenage girl. Kudos! I did have an issue with the excessive cursing. I'm no prude by any means, but seriously? Almost all of the teenage characters cursed at least once a page. That's just totally unnecessary! Again, I'm no prude, and curse fairly regularly, but I did not need to see in every page of a bloody book. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. Ok digression over. I like this concept of a girl discovering she's got catlike abilities. It's fresh and interesting, which is definitely good. 

Is this book good? Yes, mostly. Will I read the next one? Yeah, especially because of the cliffhanger ending. Should you read this? If you want to sure, if not go watch the show when it comes out.

Until next time comrades.

Viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment