Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review #26: The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Gothgirl by Barry Lyga

Hello again my comrades! Two reviews in one sitting is starting to become a more regular occurrence, but that's not a bad thing luckily. Anyway lets get on with the review. :)

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Gothgirl (whew long title!) is by Barry Lyga. It centers on Donnie, aka Fanboy, who is a massive comic/graphic novel geek. He lives with his pregnant and divorced mother and his stepfather. He is constantly bullied at school and his best and only friend can't be seen with him at school. Then one day he meets Kyra, aka Gothgirl. She brings things out in Fanboy that he did not know were there. From there everything leads up to one event. 

I really liked this book. I liked how fresh it was and how different from the norm it was. It's not the conventional novel, hell it's unconventional even for realistic YA novels. And that's what's so great about it. I loved this idea that could seem so generic and bland and Mr. Lyga made it utterly fantabulous. I loved the plot. I'll just say that straight out, I loved it. It was great and interesting and fabulous. 

I love Fanboy. I would feel a bit odd being attracted to him if he existed in real life because he's 15 and I'm 19. But if he were a bit older I would totally go for him. He takes the conventional bullied geek and turns him on his head. I love his journey throughout the novel and his relationship with Kyra, and how both him and their relationship develop (no love, and that's not a spoiler so shh). He becomes a better person and I love it when characters develop, especially in interesting ways. I felt for him when he realized he how his relationship with Cal was changing. That happens a lot in real life and it's definitely happened to me, so I could relate. Speaking of Kyra, I loved her. She had great dialogue and was just a kick ass character. I wish she were real so we could hang out. She had a reason she acted the way she did, and I heard it was more explored in the sequel Goth Girl Rising (which I have and can't wait to read). I loved her snarkiness but I could also see she truly cared for Fanboy. He was the only person who understood her and talked/cared for her. She felt betrayed at times and I could understand that. But she also had huge walls up that were hard to break. Also Cal was that kid who was the jock, yet also a secret nerd and hid that from everyone, and in doing so hid his friendship with Fanboy. That's a shame that it happened, and I welled up with tears when I read his scenes with Fanboy at times.


Barry Lyga is talented. Period. He really gets inside the teenage mind, and can also write a fantastic story to boot. I loved his style and the way he structured the book. Plus I loved how he wrote Fanboy and Gothgirl's banter/dialogue. It was just pure awesome. I loved it, I do. I wish he were more well known because he is bloody amazing and deserves more recognition for it.


If you love kick ass YA fiction that is not the norm pick this up. Although anyone can love this really. 


I'll next be reviewing To Kill a Warlock by H.P. Mallory


Until next time Comrades.

Viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment