Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review #120: Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Darkness is the second book in the Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Goodreads says:

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems....

For my review of the first book, Beautiful Creatures, click here.

Have you seen a trend with my last two reviews? Yup, it's the Meh Sequel trend. Except, this book was fortunately not too meh, or that bad. While I was bored and not enjoying reading BD for some parts, I was mostly interested. Not too terrible, and decent when it hit it out of the park. The last half was straight up wicked. I loved every second of it, and that ending was wonderful, although a bit derivative of the end of Beautiful Creatures. 

Ethan was still wonderful. I fell even more for his sweetness and devotion. I still just want to hug him. His journey continued well in this book, and you want him to succeed and help Lena. Speaking of Lena, she took a downward spiral in this book. I felt for her and how she dealt with Macon's death. I lost a loved one not too long ago, one I was incredibly close to. It's hard losing someone you love so much, and regret your last interactions with them. Although I wish she made better decisions and let Ethan comfort her when he offered. 

Ms. Garcia and Ms. Stohl kept me interested for the most part. They built up their world well. Their writing is still excellent. Despite being bored during some parts, as I said I was for the most part intrigued and invested in this book. I can't wait for Beautiful Chaos.

I'll next be reviewing Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep. 

Until next time, viva la literature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment