Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Review #95: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Hope y'all enjoy this review :)

Beautiful Creatures is the first in the Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Ethan Wate has been having strange dreams, about a strange girl who he feels a strong connection to. He also lives in the very small, southern town of Gaitlin. He dreams of the day he can get out of here and live his life. Then Lena Duchannes moves to Gaitlin, and Ethan immediately recognizes her as the literal girl of his dreams. Trouble is she's the niece of the town shut in, Macon Ravenwood, instantly painting her as an outcast. As Ethan and Lena get closer, the secret she's keeping threatens to tear them apart, as well as their small town. As Lena's birthday rapidly approaches, everyone is waiting to see what the fate of this girl, as well as those she loves, will be.

I love, love, love this book! It just grabbed me from page one. So much so that the day I started it I stayed up til almost 4:30 in the morning reading, til exhaustion gave in. I also give this book a lot of credit for keeping me together during the emotional time I was going through last Saturday. I never wanted to leave this incredible world. Yes, there are a lot of PNR books out there, but this one is unique. For starters, it's male POV, with the girl being the supernatural creature. It also helped that this wasn't the normal vampire, werewolf, typical creature.

Oh my god, I adore Ethan. He is so sweet and loyal, determined and caring. I loved reading his journey. I connected with him on a deem, emotional level. He just had this spark, a humor that you are drawn to. Then there's Lena. Despite her Cullen-ish tendencies, I still loved her. Her journey was incredibly interesting, and I connected with her well. I feel like we'd be close friends in real life. I especially relate because I also have a close relationship with one of my uncles. Her growth and her path was engrossing, and I was rooting for her, as well as Ethan, the entire time. Then there's the side characters. They were all well developed, even the seemingly one-dimensional mean girls from the High School. Macon Ravenwood took my heart. I loved his kooky nature, and also how much he loved his niece. Like I said, I have a very close relationship with one of my uncles, so I loved his relationship with Lena. He had such great lines in the book, I couldn't help repeating them. Link, Ethan's best friend, was also wonderful. He had that sweet, yet oblivious best friend quality to him, but as the novel went on you saw so much more to him. And the villain gave me the chills. She scared the crap out of me. *shudders*

Dayum, Ms Garcia and Ms. Stohl know how to write. I mean it, these women are crazy talented. They build such a fantastic world, all under the nose of a small southern town. They know how to craft a character, and know how to write a story. They just make you want to read more and more, even after you finish the book.

I highly recommend this to someone who loves Paranormal Romance, YA, anyone in general.

I'll next be reviewing Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment