Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Review #98: First Frost and Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

First Frost is the prequel to the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep. Gwen has a freakout with her magic, leading her to the ivory walls of Mythos Academy.

This was another great short prequel. It gave great insight into Gwen Frost as a character, as well as others like Grandma Frost and Professor Metis. The development was well done, and your heart pounded, you cried, etc. All in all a good prequel.


First Frost is the first book in the series. Here's another Goodreads synopsis:

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.
But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died...

I love this book, I truly do. I loved the authors take on the different mythologies she used, mainly Greek and Norse mythologies. I also loved the story, and the pacing as it went on. The action was plentiful, the romance was decent, and the relationships between the characters were fascinating. Also the climax/ending was brilliant. Gotta love a good ending.


Gwen was an excellent character. I loved how cynical she was, smart intelligent, loyal, and all around awesome. I will admit, her brooding about her mothers death got a bit annoying. I also liked that she had a dark side, it made her a well rounded character. I feel like she and I could hang out in comic book stores and bookstores, talking and hanging out (what is it with me and wanting fictional characters as best friends or boyfriends? xD) Logan, on the other hand, didn't really impress me. Sure, he had his sweet moments, but other than that, I didn't really like him. He was kind of an a** most of the time. I don't know what Gwen saw in him. Daphne on the other hand, was awesome. I loved her development, as well as her evolving relationship with Gwen, from pseudo-enemies to best friends. Daphne grew into a wonderful character with funny lines and a good heart. Characters such as Grandma Frost and Professor Metis also got good development, not languishing on the sidelines. 


Dang, Jennifer Estep is a fantastic writer. Her style was wonderful, getting into her characters head with ease. I can not wait to read Kiss of Frost.


I'll next review Trial by Fire by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.


Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment