Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bad Book Round-Up #8

*Big Sigh* Guys, honestly, I'm just sad right now. I so so so hoped against hope that this post wouldn't happen for this list. But, unfortunately as you can tell by the title, that didn't happen. In fact, the last three books of the current list were all awful. Damn, this truly sucks. Well, lets get it over with.

World War Z by Max Brooks:
  I'm so freaking disappointed in this book, you've no idea. I had heard amazing things about this book, about how good it was and how great of an allegory for the times we lived in it was. Plus it's by Max Brooks, the son of Mel Brooks. It should have been amazing, right? Wrong, sadly. The writing just wasn't good. I know this book is supposed to be an "Oral History," with the characters basically being interviewed and telling their stories. Despite that, the writing should be good, and feel authentic, and it didn't. This novel fell so flat, I'm honestly distraught over it.

Wings by Aprilynne Pike:
  Another book with generic writing and generic characters. I swear, Laurel had literally no personality. Also, I hated her superiority complex. She acted so much better than everyone else because she was homeschooled in a quiet environment, was a strict vegan, and hated being indoors. Ugh, she makes me so freaking mad. And David, typical insta-love clingy love interest. Just, no. X_X

Remembrance by Rachel Madow
  This book felt like it was written by a college student, which I think is when Ms. Madow got the idea for this book, in a creative writing class. She thanks them in the dedication for helping inspire her with this novel. Look, I don't think that it's a bad thing she got published so young. In fact, I envy her. I'd love to be a published author at this moment. Unfortunately, I think her writing needs to mature a bit before her next book. I thought the main character Lizzy was too hair-brained. She also gawked at the "ohmygodsosexyican'ttakemyeyesoffhim" love interest. Her boyfriend was portrayed in a bad light (despite me wanting to smack him at one point), and the writing was too wooden. Overall, I think Ms. Madow needs to practice writing more.

Well, that does it for this edition of Bad Book Round-Up. And that's also the end of the latest Currently Reading List. My next post will be the next CR list, so tune in for that one.


Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment