Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Review #94 Retro Demonology and The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

Guys! It feels like forever since I've posted. How is everyone? How was Thanksgiving? Hope all is well for each of you :). I apologize for not posting sooner, issues in my personal life and life in general got in the way of me devoting enough time to get reviews posted. But, that is not the case anymore, and I'm back with a lot of reviews today, so be prepared! And away we go!

Retro Demonology is the prequel to the Demon Trapper's Daughter series by Jana Oliver. Riley Blackthorne is the teenage daughter of legendary Trapper Paul Blackthorne. She is following in her father's footsteps, becoming a Trapper herself. This is the story of her first ever trapping.

I adored this prequel. It's a shame it was so freaking short, about only 15 pages. I loved Riley's attitude about what she was doing. But what I think I loved most was the idea of "Retros." That idea just latched onto me and felt uniquely funny. 


The Demon Trappers Daughter is the first in the series. Here's the Goodreads synopsis since I don't think I can do it justice:

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley's routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?

I don't know what went wrong. While I adored Retro Demonology, I could not stand TDTD. The story did not work with me. I was not swept up in the world or connected to what as happening.

Riley just was not as fun in this book. I know she had a tough life, but you in order to truly enjoy a book, you should be able to connect with the lead character. Sadly, that did not happen. I just hated Beck. I disliked him as a character, despite the tiny amount of growth he displayed. His POV was too off-putting. The only characters I liked were Simon and Riley's dad. I also thought that guy who was on the Trapper's Guild, I forget his name, was an evil a()()hole. I wanted to scream at him to shut up and give him a reality check.

Oliver had decent enough world building. I do wish she could have gone a step further. I also hated her writing style. She could have done a better job doing her characters, and her story for that matter, justice.

The next review is on Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment