Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Review #104: Lemonade Mouth by Mark Peter Hughes

Well folks, this is the last in the massive bulk of reviews I've been posting, and I'm glad I'm ending this deluge with a book that was fabulous :)

Goodreads synopsis:

Poets. Geniuses. Revolutionaries.

The members of the legendary band Lemonade Mouth have been called all of these things. But until now, nobody's known the inside story of how this powerhouse band came to be. How five outcasts in Opoquonsett High School's freshman class found each other, found the music, and went on to change both rock and roll and high school as we know it. Wen, Stella, Charlie, Olivia, and Mo take us back to that fateful detention where a dentist's jingle, a teacher's coughing fit, and a beat-up ukelele gave birth to Rhode Island's most influential band. Told in each of their five voices and compiled by Opoquonsett's "scene queen," freshman Naomi Fishmeier, this anthology is their definitive history.

This book is pure awesome, and has become one of my all time favorites. Like Must Love Dogs, I saw the movie before reading the book, before even knowing there was a book. The difference between the two is that Both versions of Lemonade Mouth are excellent, despite some of the differences that exist (the movie was made by Disney after all). I loved how the story was told through mainly the band members' perspectives, with others when necessary. I loved their stories and how the five became so close with each other, going through their separate and collective issues in their own ways. You become deeply invested in this book and it's gorgeous messages of standing up for what you believe in, being yourself, etc.

Collectively, Stella, Olivia, Charlie, Wen and Mo are a great set of friends. When going through their collective journey, you see them start as five strangers who would rather do their own thing than be friends. By the end they are such a tight nit group it makes you wish you were a part of it. Separately, each of them were vibrant, sweet, and best of all, real. I know kids like this, I relate to them and root for them I loved Stella's narration the best, and connected to her right away (I always seem to connect with the spunky, sarcastic girl, wonder why? XP). Olivia's narration through letters was very fitting, since she didn't really talk much during the novel. Admittedly, Wen acted like a whiny little kid when it came to his situation, but it's meant to be like that so he can grow throughout the novel (it's the same way in the movie too.) Mo also had some great development, and I loved how her relationship with Charlie developed. Speaking of Charlie, I loved how he tackled his personal issue, and how he resolved it at the end. The antagonists of this book made me want to punch my pillows. I hated them with all of my guts, especially Ray Beech and his gang. I've been bullied almost my entire life and it's people like him that make me just so fucking (pardon my language) mad.

I love Mr. Hughes' writing style, The way he wrote the novel worked so well, I don't think this book would have worked any other way. He just creates these vivid characters that evoke intense emotion in you, and grips you with what he's writing, good or bad. I hear he's writing a sequel to this book, and I can't wait!


Concerning the movie adaptation, I still love it, as well as the book version. Both are well done and I recommend you check them out. 

I'll next be reviewing Shut Out by Kody Keplinger.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment