Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review #158: Destined by Jessie Harrell

Destined is by Jessie Harrell. Goodreads says:

When Psyche receives a prophecy gone horribly wrong, she learns that even the most beautiful girl in Greece can have a hideous future. Her fate? Fall in love with the one creature even the gods fear.

As she feels herself slipping closer into the arms of the prophecy, Psyche must choose between the terrifyingly tender touch she feels almost powerless to resist and the one constant she's come to expect out of life: you cannot escape what is destined.


This novel wasn't very good. I loved the premise, but mostly because I like the Psyche and Cupid myth. Apart from that, not much was terribly interesting, this was just mostly played out like a soap opera. Also I was perplexed at the characters speaking like modern people. I mean the story took place in ancient Greece, I'm sure the speech patterns were not exactly the same as they are today. I know, that's a small thing to nitpick about, but it really bothered me. If you are going to set your story in a different time, then please at least try to make the speech patterns at least similar to what they were supposed to be. 

Psyche was ok. She was your typical spunky, determined heroine whom shocked almost everyone around her with her fiestyness (sp?). I did like her a bit near the end, but that was about it. Come to think of it, all of these characters were pretty stereotypical. There was no true growth, and there was almost no original personality in anyone.

The writing was decent at best. Like I said, I'm really peeved that Ms. Harrell used modern speech patterns with the characters. Admittedly, I did like how she built her world. That was probably the only thing I truly liked about this novel.

I'll next be reviewing Asphodel by Lauren Hammond.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment