Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review #162: Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

Greetings everyone! It's been a little over a week since the last review, and it feels like forever. I have a bunch of stuff for y'all today, and I hope you guys like it :) On with the reviews!

Dark Descendant is the first in the Nikki Glass series by Jenna Black. Goodreads says:

Nikki Glass can track down any man. But when her latest client turns out to be a true descendant of Hades, Nikki now discovers she can’t die. . . . Crazy as it sounds, Nikki’s manhunting skills are literally god-given. She’s a living, breathing descendant of Artemis who has stepped right into a trap set by the children of the gods. Nikki’s new “friends” include a descendant of Eros, who uses sex as a weapon; a descendant of Loki, whose tricks are no laughing matter; and a half-mad descendant of Kali who thinks she’s a spy. But most powerful of all are the Olympians, a rival clan of immortals seeking to destroy all Descendants who refuse to bow down to them. In the eternal battle of good god/bad god, Nikki would make a divine weapon. But if they think she’ll surrender without a fight, the gods must be crazy. . . .

Godsdammit! This book sounded awesome when I first read the summary. The premise reminded me a little bit of the Sabina Kane series, which is one of my all time favorite series. Then of course I read the book, and eeverything went down the drain. To be fair, it wasn't really the story that made me stop reading. No, it was the characters and the writing that prevented me from even forcing myself to continue reading this book. The story was ok, ableit it went very fast, shooting past my mind before I could play catch up. I just could not follow anything that was going on, and that is a baad thing. The story also felt poorly written, not always cohesively written.

Nikki was a horrible character! Just horrible. I despised her voice, because she just felt shallow and hollow. I could not connect with Nikki, and I felt like she was a stereotypical, overblown badass with hollow attitude and snark that did not feel genuine. The other characters were just as poorly written, themselves being overblown stereotypes with horrid personalities. No one felt real in any way shape or form.

Ms. Black's writing was absolutely bad in this book. She wrote the characters so so poorly, and her world building felt like utter shlock, that it frustrated me to the point where I almost chucked my Nook at my wall. I will give her another chance with her Fairiewalker series, HOPEFULLY that book will be much better than this shock of a book.

With all of that said, we are at the end of yet another list. I shall be putting up the next list in a few minutes.

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment