Monday, March 19, 2012

Review #160: Oh. My. Gods by Tera Lynn Childs

Hello everyone! I hope you all enjoyed St. Patrick's Day :) Anyway, I have this review for y'all, hope you enjoy it :)

Oh. My. Gods is the first in a series by Tera Lynn Childs. Goodreads says:

When Phoebe’s mom returns from Greece with a new husband and plans to move to an island in the Aegean Sea, Phoebe’s well-plotted senior year becomes ancient history. Now, instead of enjoying a triumphant track season and planning for college with her best friends, Phoebe is trying to keep her head above water at the überexclusive Academy. If it isn’t hard enough being the new kid in school, Phoebe’s classmates are all descendants of the Greek gods! When you’re running against teammates with superpowers, dealing with a stepsister from Hades, and nursing a crush on a boy who is quite literally a god, the drama takes on mythic proportions!

I got this book when I first was getting into Tera Lynn Childs' work. I was excited because this book looked great when I first saw it, and looked like it was gearing up to be fantastic. Unfortunately the story went down after page one. Honestly, the story felt contrived immediately, with the quickie marriage completely unrealistic even under these circumstances. I couldn't follow anything that was going on, and everything happened waaay too quickly.

I'm sorry, but Phoebe was a horrible character. Her voice/POV bothered the hell out of me, and irritated me to the point where it made me quit reading. She is possibly one of the single most whiny characters I have ever read about. I swear, her whining knew no freaking bounds. I could not handle how her character was written. One of the worst things about it is that the character was written as knowing she was saying mean things to her mom and stepfather, yet she said them anyway, without apologizing. I just, I couldn't. The other characters were just not memorable, and Phoebe ruined this whole book for me. 

I'm sorry Ms. Childs, but I won't be continuing this series. Thankfully I can't wait for your next Fins book :)

I'll next be reviewing The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter. 

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment