Sunday, July 3, 2011

Review #35: In the Belly of Jonah by Sandra Brannan

Hello my lovely literary comrades! Hope the weekend was good to everyone. :) Happy almost Fourth of July! I hope all the barbecues go well and that it doesn't rain. Anyway lets get to this review.

It will be a short one as I gave up a bit quickly. I just could not take it. 

In the Belly of Jonah is by Sandra Brannan. It's the first in the Liv Bergen series. It mostly centers on the series namesake, Liv Bergen, who is an amateur detective, and gets called on a case that has a somewhat personal connection to her.

I found this on a friend's facebook page where she posts cheap or free books for Kindle, Nook, etc. I got this and the second book for free. I thought it might have been good. I was wrong.

It just occurred to me that this is my first truly bad review. Well almost.

The plot was alright, going as so far to say it was interesting enough. Not enough to hold my attention though. I just did not latch onto it. 


As far as the characters, Liv wasn't very good. I did not like her voice/POV. I felt it was dry and very detached. I couldn't identify with her in any way, and that was a bit scary for me. The only interesting character I liked was Jill, and she did not last long :(. 

The writing style was extremely dry for my taste. There are people out there who love dry writing styles and I do not fault them, to each their own. But I know myself and I didn't enjoy it.

Maybe one day I'll possibly return to this book, and I might even like it. But for now, I give it 1 star and unsatisfactory.

I'll next be reviewing Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien.


Until next time comrades.


Viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment