Monday, November 14, 2011

Review #88: Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Salutations my friend :) Hope your weekends were wonderful, as well as your Mondays :) Have this here review for ya, so lets go!

Enclave is the first book in the Razorland series by Ann Aguirre. Deuce has grown up in an underground Enclave, above ground having been decimated long ago. In her world, you earn your name at 15, if you survive long enough to do so. Newly 15 and minted as a Huntress, Deuce is partnered with Fade, a mysterious boy who had lived Topside until he came to the Enclave. Sent to fight the mutated Freaks, Deuce and Fade discover the creatures are becoming smarter and organized, making them even more deadly. When they relay this back to their leaders, no one believes them. Exiled, the duo make their way Topside, where they makes some startling discoveries, and become closer in a way neither expected. 

I liked this book a lot. When I first heard about it, I sort of dismissed it. Finally, after much debate, I got it. I really liked its pacing, not too slow, not too fast. I especially loved this book once Deuce and Fade made it Topside. I became addicted to each page, craving to read more and more. The story feels old, yet new at the same time. You become so interested in how this world works.

Deuce was so freaking kick ass. I loved her determination, her passion and compassion. She is definitely a character worth rooting for. She also reminds me of one of my favorite characters, Katniss Everdeen. Both just kick ass, and are wonderfully complex characters. Fade was fabulous. Sexy, a bit mysterious, sweet and kind, fierce and kick ass. Man he was great. I loved learning bits and pieces about him. Other characters such as Stalker and Thimble were great to read, the former a bit more developed. 

I liked Ms. Aguirre's writing style a lot. It was a wonderful one. She really knows how to build her world, I can't wait to see what else she has in store for the second book, Outpost.

I'll next be reviewing The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This review will be a bit different since this is a re-read. 

Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment