Monday, November 21, 2011

Review #90: Crossed (Matched #2) by Ally Condie

Hello hello hello my dear friends! I hope your weekends treated you all well :) Have this here review for ya, so enjoy!

Crossed is the sequel to Matched by Ally Condie, second in a trilogy. I don't think I could describe this well on my own, so here's the Goodreads description!: 

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.


For my review of Matched, click here

I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was a great sequel to Matched. I read it in almost two days. The suspense was intense and you are so freaking addicted to what is happening. I do have a couple of gripes though. For the first two chapters, I couldn't distinguish Cassia and Ky's voices. That's an issue, especially since this dual narration was hyped up. It ended after those first two chapters, so it's not really a gripe. The second gripe is a bit more major. I honestly didn't feel like Condie expanded her world thoroughly. I know I'm not the author and she can make the story how she wishes, but I would have loved to know even more than I did while reading. After that, it was smooth sailing. I loved the scenes in the Outer Provinces. The pacing was great as well as the fantastic love story. 

Cassia showed some real development in this installment. She had her oblivious moments, but she overall showed great improvement as a character. I still love Ky, and getting his perspective made me fall even more in love with him. Despite all that, at times it felt like he spent too much time brooding. But overall I still am firmly team Ky. Xander didn't really have much of a presence in this book, so I won't comment much on him, other than he was definitely a proponent of the plot. New characters such as Vick and Indie were quite developed and interesting. Vick definitely stood out as a favorite to me. 

As I said, I wish Condie could have expanded a bit more on her world than she did, but I still love her writing and how she crafts a story. I can't wait until the next/final book comes out.

I'll next be reviewing Desire by Kailin Gow. 


Until next time, viva la literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment